Meghan is admitted to practice law in the State (Victoria) and Federal jurisdictions of Australia, and also to the New York State Bar in the United States. Meghan is based in Australia and qualified to advise on Australian and American law.
With over 15 years of experience in practice, Meghan is a Principal Lawyer at Burke & Associates Lawyers. She practices predominantly in disputes (litigation and alternative dispute resolution);corporate, commercial and business law; and estates, with particular speciality in assisting professional and business clients in the medical, health and life sciences industries.
Specifically, Meghan is skilled to advise in:
- corporate and commercial law (with particular medical, health and sciences industry client expertise): contracts, privacy, intellectual property (invention, development, licensing), business (development, growth, sale, purchase), strategic development, employment and due diligence
- commercial, property, building and estate disputes (litigation, arbitration, mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution)
- wills and estates (planning, succession, asset protection)
- commercial leasing and licensing
Meghan’s clients are located in and around Melbourne, Australia-wide and internationally.
She is known for bringing her clients a holistic approach; advising with excellence across key areas; commerciality; high level skills under pressure; lateral thinking and problem solving; comprehensive strategic advice; care for her clients; strength in negotiation and in advocating for her clients; and reaching solutions.
Meghan has a degree not only in law but also in business with a major in financial planning. This adds to Meghan’s ability to understand your goals and objectives and make recommendations in a global sense as to how these might be achieved. This includes personal, financial and business goals in the short, medium and long term. Meghan aims to consider the broader aspects of her clients’ situation in achieving solutions. In this way, her advice is further reaching in scope and in meeting their needs than other legal professionals are likely to be.
Meghan's notable cases and experience include:
o Biota Holdings Ltd v GlaxoSmithKline,Supreme Court of Victoria (2008) : Action against GlaxoSmithKline for their alleged lack of support for Biota's Relenza flu treatment.
o Vigliaroni & Ors v CPS Investment Holdings Pty Ltd & Ors  VSC 428 : Acted for the successful parties in these actions which included oppression under the Corporations Act - Shareholders and unitholders locked in a deadlocked group of companies and trusts.
o IMCC Group (Australia) Pty Ltd v CB Cold Storage Pty Ltd  VSCA 178 : Confirmed that the “ultimate consumer” test is part of the test of whether a premises is a retail premises under theRetail Leases Act 2003 (Vic).
o United States Federal District Court litigation : Action in breach of contract, and intellectual property and medical technology licensing and development (2015 to 2017)
o Shane Beggs v. Login Systems Pty Ltd, Federal Court of Australia (2013) : Acted for the successful party in lack of jurisdiction with respect to unlawful termination claim against employer.
o Advising on real estate investment trusts (property in New York and New Jersey, USA) and medical businesses publicly listed on the NSX and ASX.
o Law Institute of Victoria representative involved in consultation with Government and the community in the drafting of the Victorian voluntary assisted dying legislation in 2017
Meghan’s keen interest in charitable and social responsibilities include her time on the Boards of Sumba Foundation Australia and the Indigenous Education Foundation. She has also been integral in the establishment and governance of a number of inspiring health promotion charities such as SandPiper Australia.
Outside of the law, you will find her seeing the world, and training in CrossFit and Muay Thai boxing.
Professional Qualifications and Memberships
- Bachelor of Laws (University of Melbourne)
- Bachelor of Business (Financial Planning) (RMIT)
- Graduate and Member of Australian Institute of Company Directors – Company Directors’ Course
- Certificate from Australian Aid International - Introduction to Humanitarian Operations
- Admitted to practice as an Australian legal practitioner in Victorian State and Australian Federal jurisdictions
- Admitted to practice as an Attorney at Law to the New York State Bar in the United States of America (Passed the Multistate Bar Exam adopted in 33 jurisdictions)
- Member of the Law Institute of Victoria (Health Law Committee of Administrative Law & Human Rights Section; Litigation Executive and Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee of the Litigation Section)
- Member of the Australian Association of Practice Management
- Member of the Law Council of Australia (Member of SME Committee, Business Law Section)
- Member of the American Bar Association (Business Law, Dispute Resolution, Litigation and Senior & Younger Lawyers Sections)
- Member of the Northern American Australian Lawyers Alliance
- Member of the American Chamber of Commerce in Australia
Publications and Papers
- Paper submitted in Children Rights & The Law (University of Melbourne) short listed for publication in Children Rights Law Journal
- Regular Contributor to Australian Association of Practice Management's (AAPM) Quarterly Magazine